On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, it was written:

> I'm rather new to RedHat, but have been running Digital UNIX and Solaris for
> quite awhile.  If I wanted to get a remote X login on those OS's from my PC,
> I'd use a program from WRQ called ReflectionX and select the XDMCP
> connection.  This would give me a GUI login as if I were at the console.
> However, when I attempt this to the RedHat box I've just built, it first
> says, "Searching for XDMCP Host" followed by "Your XDMCP connection timed
> out - make sure that the hosts on your network are running XDM programs.
> (RX2102)".  So obviously, the XDMCP connection processes aren't running.
> What I'm wondering is how do I start these processes under RedHat?  Under
> both Dec & Sun, they started automatically if you had a Graphics console.

For "basic" XDM Sessions remove the comment on the following line within
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:

     DisplayManager.requestPort:     0

You may also want to make adjustments to /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers,
/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess & /etc/X11/xdm/resources as needed.  For GDM Session
change the line within the "[xdmcp]" of /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf to:

     Enable=1

Some customization possible within the file /usr/share/config/kdmrc.

Lawrence Houston  -  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])