On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, kf wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
> = On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, kf wrote:
> =
> = > I distinctly remember reading that the SB Live was supported for Linux.
> = > Now that I'm getting around to trying to set this card up, I can't find
> = > documentation which will admit to it.
> =
> = Use the emu10k1 driver.  In /etc/conf.modules:
> =
> = alias       sound   emu10k1
> =
> = That should be all that's required.
>
> Did it.  Fired up "GnomeFoot | Multimedia | CD Player" and nothing.  The
> seconds were ticking off in the display, but there was nothing coming out
> of the speakers.  The /var/log/messages file has been saying
>
>       modprobe: can't locate module char-major-14
>
> repeatedly... hundreds of times.
>
> Opened up "Control Panel | Sound" and tried playing some of the little
> tunes there (e.g., gnibbles/crash.wav) and nothing there either-- no sound
> output from the speakers.  Did "ls -l /dev | grep 14," and found a lot of
> devices there (i.e., audio, audio1, dsp, dsp1, midi00 - midi03, mixer,
> mixer1, sequencer, and sndstat.  So maybe I'm missing a link...?
>
> Any other tips?

This is what I have in my /etc/conf.modules file:

# for sb live
# alias sound emu10k1

# the above line was supposedly all that was needed for SB Live
# audio cards to work, apparently that was not the case

# need to double check that at some point
# are there still bad audio messages during boot up

alias char-major-14 emu10k1
pre-install emu10k1 insmod soundcore
post-remove emu10k1 rmmod soundcore

#########

the above works, but there are some error messages during boot up.
I need to see what's going on, but it works for me.

                            - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -
                            - [EMAIL PROTECTED] -

 NEW!!  PGP Public Key ID: 0xCED9BD8A  Key Server: http://www.keyserver.net/en/