I'm trying to set up a Digital PWS running alpha-RHL 6.2 - although we have a load of other "flavours" of unix workstation here (plus a few linux boxes handling various network services) this is the first linux box to be used as a general workstation.  We use NIS to handle centralised authentication (but not hostname resolution), and user home directories are housed on another server and are specified in auto.homes on the NIS server.

My problem is this.  I've set up NIS on the workstation and it works, in that I can access the box using my normal account, but the home directory for my account is not being automounted - I get the following...

   No directory /homes/rhodes!
   Logging in with home = "/"

...as you might expect if it wasn't being mounted.  Ypbind, portmap, nfs and autofs are all running on the workstation and my home directory mounts fine on all the other workstations I log into.  I'm probably just being dumb and missing something blindingly obvious, but if anyone has any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong I'd be very grateful.

Alternatively (or additionally?), if anyone knows of any links to a site that'll take me through what happens during an NIS-authenticated login, that too would be very useful - I'm relatively new to unix having been somewhat thrown in at the deep end...

Thanks,

--
David Rhodes
IT Systems Administrator