On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 09:54:30AM -0500, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> > I was just thinking. I know there's trip wire and stuff. but it would be
> > neat to have cron run a script, that did md5sum "checks" on various things,
> > and mailed you, if the sum changed on anything that's in it's list. Anyone
> > have anything like that? I know practicly nothing about scripting, but how
> > hard would that be to write?  Seems like it would go something like this:
> >
> > For every file in /etc/this_script's.conf, do "$file /path/to/md5sum" >
> > /var/log/today's_copy. and diff /var/log/today's_copy against
> > /var/log/yesterday's_copy, if today's_copy != yesterday's_copy, mail root
> >
> > OTH maybe I'm just silly ;-)
>
> This is pretty much what tripwire does, but it checks more than
> md5sum. You can config it for any list of files you want. If
> everything is OK, there is no output. If run from cron, and there are
> discrepancies, then root (or whoever) gets mailed the cron output.

aha!!  someone who professes knowledge of tripwire.  so can you,
or anyone else, explain just how the selection masks work.  that is,
why would one need to specify a set of masks like

        +pinug-sacm123456789

what is the point of having to state *both* what you want included
and what you want excluded?  why on earth wouldn't you just want some
sort of default behavior?  and what happens if you deliberately
omit some masks, so that you get

        +pin-sacm

what does this mean with relation to the other masks?

  i've scanned the docs looking for a simple explanation and come
up with zip.  can anyone clear this up?

rday

--
"This is Microsoft technical support.  How may I misinform you?"