On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, (Jonathan Wilson) wrote:

> I _love_ ProFTPD - and I mean it! But I spent an entire day working on it,
> and couldn't get it working.

Huh?  Explain that.  If you've worked with it enough to really love it,
why couldn't you get it working?  :)

> For that matter, why the heck isn't Pro the default instead of Wu? Wu is
> pretty nasty, IMHO.

I'm sure that if enough of their customers request that the ftp server be
changed, and provide clear enough requests to convince Red Hat that they
know _WHY_ they want the default changed, then it eventually will be.

> Same with ssh: I've spend more then a _week_ trying to get either Openssh
> or ssh working. About 2 weeks ago. Gona wait untill another release or two
> ticks over on Openssh and try it again (maybe the RSA pantent-release will
> help, dunno)

Where did you get OpenSSH?  Did you get the official openssh, or the
"portable" version?  You can tell the difference because: "Portable
releases are marked with a 'p' (e.g. 2.2.0p1)."  The pure version will not
work on Linux.  However, the rpms from
http://www.openssh.com/portable.html have worked flawlessly for me, every
time I've used them.  No hassle, and no manual configuration is required
unless you don't like the default settings.

MSG