The issue with using /dev/modem or /dev/ttyS2 is with sharing. You just
have to be consistant with which one you use, because if you mix and
match, each seperate program will not "place nice" with the others. If you
use the smae name across the board, then they will cooperate with each
other (as best they can anyway)

hth
charles