Jim Baxter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I think I successfully got raid 1 up via a full install. I have only the
>main data mirrored.

What do you mean by "main data"?  Which filesystems are mirrored?

>It would be nice to mirror the full drive but I will try that later.
>If that is not possible please tell me not to waste my time.

It can be done but I'm not an advocate of software root-RAID.  See my
earlier post/ramblings on the topic or I'll dig up my original e-mail if
you're interested.

>For now, could someone tell me how the system will notify us we had or have
>a problem?

I would imagine syslog will start spewing messages to /var/log/messages and
the console.  I don't know exactly what they'll say but it should be pretty
obvious.  (Something about mirror X not working and continuing to run in
degraded mode IIRC.)  You can also check the status of your software RAID
arrays via the /proc filesystem:

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md1 : active raid1 sdc1[1] sdb1[0] 8886144 blocks [2/2] [UU]
md0 : active raid1 sde10[1] sda10[0] 1380224 blocks [2/2] [UU]
unused devices: <none>

This server has two RAID1 filesystems and both are working properly.  I
*think* "[2/2]" indicates two of two mirrors working properly and I don't
know what "[UU]" means but if you see something like "[U_]" it generally
indicates one mirror is either out of sync or not working.

-Eric

Eric Sisler
Library Computer Technician
Westminster Public Library