Hi,
 I presently dual boot between Win98SE (hba: FAT32, 30GB 7200 Maxtor ATA66)
and RHL 6.2 (hbb: ext2, 6.4GB 5400 Quantum ATA33) and I have various
multimedia files on the Windows drive. PIII 600, 128 MB RAM.
 Playback of MP3 (via WinAmp) usually plays uninterrupted (except when some
really dumb logic in iexplore tries to access the optical drives when I
first enter a url in the open dialog box). In Linux, I often experience
brief interruptions in playback. Playback is better, but not perfect, when I
copy a few files to the Linux drive. Oh ya, playback using XMMS (6.2
default) in GNOME (6.2 default).
 Any suggestions as to what I can do to bring the Linux quality up to
Windows level (oh my, did I really just say that)? I should be able to give
the player higher priority, but would that help (and if yes, how would I do
so)?

John MacLean