trying to backup /etc  from byers my rhat 5.2 system
to a backupdir on corni rhat6.2 on my lan
the target backupdir:
[root@corni /]# ls -ld dcproot
drwxrwxrwx    7 root     root         4096 Sep 20 04:38 dcproot
[root@corni /]#

[root@byers byers]# mount corni:/dcproot /mnt/jack
[root@byers byers]# cp -a /etc/cron* /mnt/jack
cp: /mnt/jack/cron.daily/updatedb.cron: Operation not permitted
cp: /mnt/jack/cron.daily/inn-cron-expire: Operation not permitted
cp: /mnt/jack/cron.daily/inn-cron-rnews: Operation not permitted
cp: /mnt/jack/cron.daily/logrotate: Operation not permitted
cp: /mnt/jack/cron.daily/tetex.cron: Operation not permitted
cp: /mnt/jack/cron.daily/tmpwatch: Operation not permitted
cp: /mnt/jack/cron.hourly/inn-cron-nntpsend: Operation not permitted
cp: /mnt/jack/cron.monthly: Operation not permitted
cp: /mnt/jack/cron.weekly/makewhatis.cron: Operation not permitted
cp: /mnt/jack/crontab: Operation not permitted
[root@byers byers]#

1-- why this message? -- it occurs for every single file copied
  the files actually _do_ get copied and diff shows contents good.

2-- the permissions on the new copies on corni are changed:

eg a small subset, the files that came from /etc/cron.daily
now appear in the backup dir on corni as:
-rw-------    1 65534    65534          54 Sep 10  1998 inn-cron-expire
-rw-------    1 65534    65534          34 Sep 10  1998 inn-cron-rnews
-rw-------    1 65534    65534          51 Jun 29  1998 logrotate
-rw-------    1 65534    65534         102 Oct 11  1998 tetex.cron
-rw-------    1 65534    65534          54 Sep 10  1998 tmpwatch
-rw-------    1 65534    65534         557 Jul 29  1998 updatedb.cron

this behavior is consistent for all of /etc
  all copied files end up with  -rw-------
   which is wrong for almostall files
the copy actually succeeds for all subdirs and contents,
so mostly this is working as hoped.

but I have that oddball message in response
and the file permissions all change
and that  65534    65534   in place of original   root   root

What can i do to get previous permissions back or copied correctly?
probably something that i dont know about using nfs.
thanks for advice
Jack

http://profiles.msn.com.