J>> That's all controlled by macros, so look at the *mc file your using to
build sendmail.cf.

>Um.... sure hate to sound stupid, but what "*mc" file?

sendmail.mc.  On 6.1 it's /etc/sendmail.mc.

>I was editing /etc/sendmail.cf by hand - is that a bad thing to do?

That depends on what you're doing, and on how much of a Sendmail expert
you are.  Some of the modifications made to sendmail require that both the
upper section and lower section of the configuration file be modified. The
macros are predefined programs that allow you to add in features.  For
example, if you have FEATURE(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:my.domain.com') in
your sendmail.mc file, Sendmail will need this line in the upper section
of sendmail.cf, which you can modify by hand;

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmy.domain.com

and will add the following to the lower section;

# pass names that still have a host to a smarthost (if defined)
R$* < @ $* > $*         $: $>95 < $S > $1 < @ $2 > $3   glue on smarthost
name

If you are a Sendmail expert you can hand make these modification.  If
you're not, like most of us, you're better off sticking to making changes
to the sendmail.mc file and letting Sendmail write the sendmail.cf file
for you.

Glen