>>I'm preparing to install an IDE 45gb hard drive on a RH6.1 system.  It's
                               ^^^^^^^^^^
>>not a primary drive, and will mainly be used for extra storage of
>>documents.  I have a few elementary questions:
>>
>>1) Other than making sure IDE support is compiled into the kernel, what
>>steps do I need to take to prepare for installing this device?

>That should be it.  As long as its IDE based, that'll work.  ATA66 drives
>need more to work if you use them on ATA66 connections though.  Not sure if
>this applies, since you didn't offer many specs on the drive or motherboard.

     Will a 45 Gb drive work ?  I tried a 40+ Gb drive on a system with a
fairly recent ASUS P3 motherboard but I couldn't build a filesystem or
do a bad block r/w scan.

 I later read that there aren't enough pins on the IDE bus to address beyond
32 Gb .  I don't know if there are drivers for linux yet which work around
this limitation.

  30 Gb drives work with standard RedHat drivers and kernels.

                                                       peter

----

Peter Skensved
Dept. of Physics,