-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jason Costomiris
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 2:36 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: getting started with web hosting

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 11:16:34AM -0700, Chris S wrote:
: i would like to host multiple sites on my server and was wondering where
: start.  more specifically how to configure the server, what h/w
requirements
: i will need (including bandwidth), and what documentation i can use to get
: up to speed with this.  right now i have a RH6.2 box on a dedicated cable
: line.  thanks for any advice

Well, you'll be shopping for a new bandwidth provider when your cable modem
provider catches you. :)  Think about colocation at an ISP/colo facility.

If you're serving up websites, RAM is king.  If the content is static
in nature, no groovy dynamic stuff, look at something like the TUX
server project.  Small, and extremely fast.  If you need to serve up
dynamically generated content like stuff from PHP, or one of the mod_perl
languages (like Apache::ASP, or HTML::Mason), you'll be going with Apache.
In that case, add more RAM.

If your dynamic stuff will be accessing databases, put those on a different
machine.  Make the DB server an SMP box, also lots of RAM.  In the DB
server, however, I/O is king.  Get yourself a nice fast SCSI RAID
controller and do RAID 5, or RAID 0+1 (mirrored strip sets).  If the
DB traffic is going to be tremendous, segregate it by installing an
additional NIC in each machine to dedicate to the DB traffic.

Get a good ethernet switch that supports multiple VLANs too.  I'm a huge
fan of the Cisco Catalyst 35xx line.  I've got a couple of 3524's in a
clustered stack, and they just rule.  You can manage a cluster of the
35xx's using a single IP addresses.  Of course, if you need stupid
throughput on the switch, the Cat 6000 line is great.

Of course, this stuff assumes you want to do this the "right way", not
necessarily the "cheap" way.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.