On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 11:15:08PM -0700, listmail wrote:
>       I have spent a frustrating hour talking to register.com trying to
> find somone there who realizes they control the whois server. My problem
> is that if I do a reverse dns on my ip using command line whois, an old
> name server is associated with my ip. I really need this information to be
> made current, because I can't register my host with internic without it
> matching my current domain internic apparently checks this database to
> determine validity....
>
> Any ideas on how I can make this happen?

Well your assumption that whois.register.com controls reverse dns mappings is
incorrect; your last dns server does. A reverse lookup starts at the root
server then goes to the .arpa domain then .in-addr then to the dns server of
the owner of the IP address/es. That dns server then responds to the request or
points the resolver to dns server who is authoritative. This is the only way it
happens because this is all that ARIN knows; who purchased/ownes the IP's in
question.

So what you need to do is do a whois on you IP/s to whois.arin.net like so:

[steve@turin ~]$ whois <your.IP.addr>@whois.arin.net

This will tell you who owns the IP address/s. You will also see the dns servers
of this entity. Now contact *that* entity and request that they remove the
reverse entries or point them to your prefered dns server.

Steve

--
illegitimi non carborundum
"Don't let the bastards grind you down"