Bret Hughes wrote:

> The problem is now that the system hangs at "Finding Module Dependencies"
> during booting the new kernel.  I did make modules and make module_install.
> The new modules were built and put into /lib/modules/2.2.16-3 and the kernel is
> named vmlinuz-2.2.16-3 with a symlink from vmlinuz to it.  Here is lilo.conf
>

>  BTW I compiled the scsi stuff into the kernel so the initrd is not needed,
> right?  I tried it both ways but I feel that I would not have gotten this far
> if the scsi or raid5 stuff was the issue since all drives are mounted ok.
>
> What have I missed?  All help appreciated.

I recompiled again using a different procedure and it looks like I am jammin' now
:)

I did
make mrproper
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

I then copied the kernel
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-3
and
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.2.16-3

I checked the symlinks in /boot that were set up by the previous installs

[root@compaq2 /boot]# ls -l |grep ^l
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Oct  7 08:16 System.map ->
System.map-2.2.16-3
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Oct  6 18:01 kernel.h -> kernel.h-2.2.16

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           16 Oct  7 08:16 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.2.16-3

reran lilo:
lilo -v

here is lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/ida/c0d0p1
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-22smp
 label=linux-686
 root=/dev/ida/c0d0p6
 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5-22smp.img
 read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
 label=linux
 root=/dev/ida/c0d0p6
 read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
 label=linux-up
 root=/dev/ida/c0d0p6
 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5-15.img
 read-only

viola reboot worked fine

I have a couple of quetions.

Any ideas why the first procedure did not work?
i.e.

make dep
make clean
make install
make modules
make modules_install

This is what hung at the Finding Module Dependencies prompt which looks like it is
basically a depmod -a run in rc.sysinit

What does the map=/boot/map line do?
Where did /boot/map mcome from ?  it is timestamped about 20 minutes later than
the orig /usr/src/linux/System.map.  Are these related?

Where can I read up on map and System.map and be able to understand it too :)

I appreciate everyone's help.  I don't normally compile my own kernels but if I
can get the procedure down pat I might not be afraid of it in the future.

Bret