rob smith wrote:

> I am trying to play quake 2 with rh7.0...I thought rh7.0 came with 3d
> support..I am running a voodoo3...with lots of mem and speed.
> I looked for drivers but they are based on xfree86 3.3.5   and rh7.0 has
> xfree86 4.... will  they work or am I missing how this works??

Two great articles on 3D under Linux were just posted over the weekend.
For installation, check out:

http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/3dlinux/

I can't verify the 3dfx portion of that article since I have a GeForce2
but it should give you a better idea of the parts that go into a proper
3D install.

For a very long, but very extensive review of performace, check out:

http://www.linuxgames.com/articles/nextgen3d/

On a related note, in that article the author often refers to the DRI
driven cards as a whole underperforming NVIDIA's 'custom' kernel driver
(say, relative to Windows drivers for a given card). However, I didn't
see any reference as to IF or WHY one might expect DRI to not be able to
perform as well. Is DRI just not mature yet or is there something
inherent in the implementation vs. the 'direct kernel' method NVIDIA has
gone with?

mh
--
Matt Haffner                      /|------|\    University of Wisconsin