In addition to what's already been said:

Make sure your netmasks match.

Have you had the "log onto the network" popup window appear in Win98?  I
had trouble with this one.  If not click on start, then logoff.  This will
restart a new session and bring up the logon window.

In smb.conf make sure the the IP address of the Win98 box is one you have
listed as allowed as part of the Samba net.

Glen