Hi Chris,

Rest assured that your box is behaving normally.  It's normal to send data
to a registered port (http, ftp, etc) and receive data back on a 'high port'
(1024-65535).  Most ipchains scripts include rules to allow return traffic
in on ports 1024-65535.  Hopefully the 2.4 kernel with it's stateful
inspection will be released soon and we can plug this hole.

Are there specific high ports you need to block for some reason? I have seen
firewall scripts that will block out the high ports used by netbus, back
orifice, trinoo, etc. but since many of these 'programs' allow the hacker to
change the ports, I don't bother.  I do block the xwindows ports
(6000-6004), however.

Anyway, I hope I answered your questions.

Good Luck!

Kevin

http://profiles.msn.com.