Hi Jason,

My first firewall was a pentium 100, 32 meg ram, 850 meg hard drive, and no
video card, so yes it can be done.  There are a couple of gotchas, though.

First, forget about running anything else except a firewall.  Second,
although it may be possible to install Linux without video, I don't know how
to do it.  Third, you will have to do a custom installation and be very
careful about what you install to stay under 400M.  Fourth, and trust me on
this one 'cause I was there, some things are just not easy to do over telnet
(i.e. troubleshooting why the box won't boot).

My advice to you is to get a larger hard drive and at least temporarily add
a graphics card to install Redhat.  If possible, have a friend familiar with
installing Linux help you.  Yours will deinitely not be a 'standard'
install.

Most of the info I used to install ipchains was in the HOWTOS at
www.linux.org.  the ipchains howto and firewall howto were very helpful.

A firewall is going to add to your latency; how much will depend on the
system, what else is running on the system, the amount of traffic, how
complex your ruleset is, how many system are being masqed, your connection,
your isp's connection, etc. etc.  Realistically, you shouldn't notice a
difference (I have more trouble with lag from Battlenet than anything
else!).

One final note: (legal disclaimer on) check with your isp before you set
this up.  In my case I had to switch from cable modem to DSL because my
cable company doesn't allow Linux, servers, or Nat/masqing (legal disclaimer
off).

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

http://profiles.msn.com.