rpm -e anonftp
rpm -e wu-ftpd
rpm -i proftpd

>  >> It's one of those things... I don't NEED anonymous ftp but I left it on
>>>  anyway. Either way, I had noticed last week that I had a few anonymous ftp
>>>  connections which raised my suspicions but I didn't see anything else that
>>>  alarmed me. But after getting back from a trip, I took a peek at my logs
>>and
>>>  found some bad things. Promiscuous eth0, garbage data in the logs, syslogd
>>>  restarts etc... No big deal for me at this point. This was a test server I
>>>  use and was planning on killing this weekend anyway. My questions are
>>these:
>>>
>>>  1. How does one go about hacking a machine via ftp? I mean, it would be
>>nice
>>>  to understand HOW it is done in order to prevent it.
>>>
>>>  2. Besides turning off anon. ftp, what else should I secure (ftp wise)
>>>
>>>  3. As a case study, how can I tell what he/she did exactly (I guess a part
>>>  of question 1)
>>>
>>>  Thanx,
>>>  Spunk

"The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it"

InterNetWorkingSolutions
Your home for Business and Personal Computing Solutions

PO Box 152, Cabot, VT 05647 USA

VOICE: 888.726.9030
FAX: 888.726.9030

General Information:                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website Hosting:                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Administration Services :       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Support & Training Services:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]