Speaking of Al Gore inventing the Internet (as well as pants),
does anyone know of a web site that has a copy of the new
US commercial for Snickers Candy Bars with the man in the
voting booth?  I'd love to show it to some folks around
here....

As for the original question....  there is quite a bit of
debate in terms of Al Gore and the Internet.  The Urban
Legends web page at http://www.snopes.com might be of
some use in this regards....

Basically, Al helped a little bit by smoothing some
bureaucracy, during days long after the Internet was around,
but before it was "big"... no technical help, and not
really enough to justify the hyperbole about being
instrumental in creating the Internet, but some faint
glimmer of a kernal of truth at the innermost core,
so he was only exaggerating about on a scale of a
brine shrimp to a blue whale his importance to the
internet.  He wouldn't even justify that much if he
hadn't had as his constituency ORNL (Oak Ridge National
Laboratory), as it was more a case of "Keeping the
voters off my back" than leading the technology crusade.

Bill Ward