Technically you are correct, but in practice there is little difference
here. Swing voters typically are the deciding factor in the election of the
electoral college which overwhelmingly follows the electorate's mandate.  It
is a weird system but it remains because it does little harm.  You are
mistaken about Clinton's first victory - he won a plurality of the national
level vote and the electoral college.  He did not win a majority because of
the existence of the Perot campaign.  However, you are correct that such
things have occurred before (twice if I remember correctly). [incidentally,
over the longer term, swing voters are not nearly so important as
generational replacement in deciding elections]

If you want more choices in your politics, any third rate political
scientists could show you how it is done in an instant.  The constrained
choice between two candidates which are frequently thought of as
insufficient is a necessary function of the electoral laws that we have -
set in place by the constitution - in which the majority winner takes all in
atomized geographically defined competitions (i.e. congressional districts).
It can be shown quite easily (Black's median-voter theorem) that under all
but extraordinary circumstances this produces two parties which race to the
middle of the political landscape - he how gains the vote of the 'median'
voter wins.  Third parties may exist, but their days are numbered in this
scenario.

The resultant two party system squashes entire range of political issues
(which are multi-dimensional: interventionism, free-trade, pro-labor,
pro-life, etc, etc) into a two dimensional space (i.e. Liberal versus
Conservative).  The squashed nature of the debate fits nobody very well.
Everyone is dissatisfied because we all are more sophisticated than to think
only in two dimensions.

Democratic systems can be ranked in terms of their ability to produce
"clear" winners versus their representativeness (i.e how closely the
resulting government mirrors popular opinion).  These tend to be
contradictory, as I am sure you can image.  Our system clearly favors having
a "clear" winner at the cost of representativeness.

Is this good or bad?  Neither - simply a choice.  However, the lack of
representativeness is clear in public frustration with politics and lack of
participation. This situation is unlikely to be rectified (assuming it is a
problem) because Americans generally spend little time considering that
there are a multitude of different "democratic" systems which don't
necessarily lead to the same result.  We are very reticent to consider that
the basic structure of government that we "enjoy" and is enshrined in the
constitution could be improved upon.

However, consider this - American Political Scientists have designed many of
the democratic governments around the world. (Japan, much of Europe, etc)
and we have not yet designed one that looks like the U.S.

Now I gotta shut up about all of this before I get kicked off this list!

Michaell