All,

I have recently installed a DSL line.  It is connected to a Linux (RH
6.2, up to date patches) box that firewalls (ipchains) the home network
of 3 Win98/ME PCs.  The PCs are all assigned static IP numbers in the
192.168.xxx.xxx non-routable range and are MASQed through Linux to the
net.  Last night I was enabling sharing of the disks and printers
between the PCs and did it by binding the Microsoft networking protocol
to the TCP/IP stack.

This morning before work I was checking /var/log/messages and found:

Oct 19 21:00:30 digitus kernel: Packet log: output REJECT eth1 PROTO=6
my.ip.address:61335 24.0.22.247:139 L=48 S=0x0

I interpreted this as one of my home PCs trying to connect via NETBIOS
to 24.0.22.247.  This was not what I had intended.  My response was to
block all input from and output to the 24.0.22.0/24 range of addresses
and to put a line in my ipchains:

    # Block forwarding of NETBIOS calls.
    ipchains -A forward -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE \
             -s $LOCALNET_1 $NETBIOS -j DENY

EXTERNAL_INTERFACE is the DSL connection

I have three questions:
1. How would you all interpret the NETBIOS packet going to 24.0.22.247?
2. Given my choice of IP addresses for the PCs, why was there any
communication to 24.0.22.247 at all?
3. If this is a problem, how would you suggest correcting the situation?

Thanks in advance.

Nic Steussy