On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Fred Edmister wrote:

>         What I usually do is trace the IP back as far as you can, and then do a
>whois on the domain owner, get the Admin phone number, and call
> them and report the incident.  I've had to do this a few times, and each time, I've
>had nothing but acceptance and thankfullness from the
> corresponding ISP.  (which I would do the same if someone called me)   Hope this
>helps you!
>
>         Fred
>

> At 03:56 PM 10/28/00 -0400, you wrote:
>       Is there a standard address that ISPs use to report hackers??
>
>       If for instance someone tried to break in to my machine and I can trace their
>IP back to a certain ISP/DSL/Cable provider, is there
>       an address similar to 'abuse@blah' which they monitor??

Another thing you might try for more info is
http://www.SamSpade.org . It can be a quick and dirty resource of
information about a network... plus you don't have to remember a list
of commands in tracking down a host =)

--
Tony Inskeep
Pfeiffer University

  Ashamed of what is not a matter for shame, and not ashamed of what is,
  by holding to wrong views people go to a bad rebirth. 316