On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Carson, Chuck wrote:

> After tossing RH7 into the trash can after many many glibc woes, I am going
> to step back to RH62. However, it has a 3Com 3c905 NIC, which it is not
> detecting. (This box was a SuSe box before trying RH7) Do I need to get a
> newer kernel and recompile, or is there something I can do at install time
> to detect this NIC?

Rh62 should recognize the card. Do you see the card in the list of devices
output by using the command lspci? You should see something like this:

00:12.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone]

along with other entries from the different devices. The rh installer may
not have setup your nic if you performed an install from cdrom. I don't
think that the installer gives you the option to setup nics unless you
install from a network source. You may need to run netconf or edit
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to setup your nic similar to:

DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=
NETMASK=
# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
# BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NAME=eth0

hope that helps

 --
Tony Inskeep
Pfeiffer University

  Ashamed of what is not a matter for shame, and not ashamed of what is,
  by holding to wrong views people go to a bad rebirth. 316