On Thu, 02 Nov 2000, Bret Hughes wrote:

> Huh, that is not how I interpreted it:  Fom the manpage on a 6.0 box
>
> --utc  Indicates  that the Hardware Clock is kept in Coor-
>               dinated Universal Time.  It is your choice  whether
>               to  keep your clock in UTC or local time, but noth-
>               ing in the clock tells  which  you've  chosen.   So
>               this  option  is  how  you give that information to
>               hwclock.
>
>               In order to avoid any  possible  misunderstandings:
>               all  conversation  with the program hwclock is done
>               in local time. If you have your clock in UTC (as is
>               common  on  a  Unix  system)  then the option --utc
>               tells hwclock to do  the  appropriate  conversions:
>               `hwclock  --show  --utc'  will  tell  you the local
>               time, assuming the hardware clock is  in  UTC,  and
>               `hwclock  --set  --date="XXX"  --utc'  will set the
>               hardware clock to the UTC equivalent of  the  local
>               time XXX.

[snippage]

> At least on my 6.0 servers with all the errata updates this is the behavior I
> am used to seeing.  Maybe there is some thing I am missing but I pulled my hair
> out over this stuff a couple of years ago for a while 'til I felt like I got it
> right.
>

> If this is incorrect I would greatfully accept correction. (given the proper
> offset of course)

Hmm....interesting. I'm on a 6.2 box here... and here's
part of  the output of the man page here...
[snip]
The following options apply to most functions.

       --utc

       --localtime
              Indicates that the Hardware Clock is kept in Coordinated Univer­
              sal Time or local time, respectively.  It is your choice whether
              to  keep  your  clock  in  UTC or local time, but nothing in the
              clock tells which you've chosen.  So this option is how you give
              that information to hwclock.

              If  you  specify the wrong one of these options (or specify nei­
              ther and take a wrong default), both setting and querying of the
              Hardware Clock will be messed up.

              If  you  specify  neither --utc nor --localtime , the default is
              whichever was specified the last time hwclock was  used  to  set
              the  clock  (i.e.  hwclock was successfully run with the --set ,
              --systohc , or --adjust options), as  recorded  in  the  adjtime
              file.   If  the adjtime file doesn't exist, the default is local

I think the important part is the last paragraph -- default
is what was last specified or local if the "adjtime" file
doesn't exist.

[john@slave1 john]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
ZONE="US/Eastern"
UTC=false
ARC=false
[john@slave1 john]$ ls -al /etc/localtime
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1250 Jul  9 14:53 /etc/localtime
(this is apparently NOT a symlink on this system.... but it
is on my ISP's "home" machine where all the personal
webspace, etc is....)

I think that perhaps the functionality of the command may
have been modified between 6.0 and 6.2. There were some
significant, if not earth-shaking, changes in the steps
between 6.0 and 6.2, after all they didn't just jump from
6.0 to 6.2... :-)

Anyway, I never use the "--utc" command since my system is
kept in Eastern time.... :-)
        John