Hi Ed,

The default resolution of VNC is 1024x768 and the default depth is 8 bpp.
You can use

vncserver -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 32

or any combination and configuration.  It works pretty well!

On a LAN, I prefer using an X Server such as eXceed, it's much faster (no
need to always send redrawn parts over the network, only the events).  Over a
modem line (56k), an X Server is unusable... soooo slow.  Then VNC does a
pretty good job, and can be used over an SSH connection...

Etienne