On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Justin Ballou wrote:

> > Is there a program I can install on my Windows 2000 workstation that will
> > allow me to remotely run a Gnome desktop from my Linux machine?  You know,
> > like PC Anywhere does for Windows.
> >
> > I have Exceed from Hummingbird software, and it works great as an X-Windows
> > manager for the X86 stuff.  Something like this for Gnome would be awesome =)
> >
> > Thanks =)
> >
> > -Ed
> >
> > ps... Please let me know if you're aware of something like this for KDE.
>
> IMO, Exceed works fine for this type of arrangement.  By using its
> single window option (sorry I can't be specific, but I don't have the menus
> accessible at the moment), you can get yourself a single Windoze window
> containing your entire KDE or GNOME desktop.  I've done this with KDE myself,
> desktop background, icons, taskbar and all.  'Course, I was using XDMCP,
> if that makes a difference...

just a little bit. If youa re not using xdmcp, all you have to do is
launch an xterm first (it will come up, just unmanaged), then start
gnome/kde/whatever from it.

BTW Ed, this will be ***much*** faster than VNC, so if you have exceed,
please try this.

I can't be specific either, but if you get stuck, report back on monday -
I can recreate the steps to do this at work.

charles