On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 02:42:30PM -0800, Dave wrote:
> Now, I am confused, so, if I want to install a certain package, so far I
> keep typing  it out wrong half the time, so I tried "rpm -ivh $(which <name
> of file>)", but it dosen't like it.

Uh...no, that's not how I'd do it.  The bit with the 'which', etc., is in
answer to the question, "What package provided the file <name of file>".

When installing, it doesn't matter what directory from which you install;
so if you've a package "traceroute-1.4a5-23.i386.rpm" in the current
directory, you could do "rpm -ivh trace*.rpm", for instance, and it would
expand the package name automatically (provided, of course, there's
no other file in the directory that would expand with that particular
wildcard pattern) and install that one package.

In fact, use this to let rpm figure out inter-package dependencies.
If RedHat tells you that package A.rpm, B.rpm, and C.rpm need to be
installed, and they have interdependencies, just temporarily put them
into the same directory (or link, or symlink, or whatever feels good to
you) and then do "rpm -ivh *.rpm" (or Fvh, or Uvh--you get the gist).
It'll figure out which to install in what order.

Note that the 'v' and 'h' options are eye candy--they don't change the real
behavior of the installation.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat