I dunno why I hadn't thought of it before (brainfart), but I created an
account, did not set the password, and tried telneting in using it.  It
wouldn't let me in.  I checked /etc/shadow and found !! in the area where
the password would normally be decrypted.  I guess it's already doing what
you're saying?  Does that sound right?

-Ed