I think you may have missed his statement that the same media mounts
different in two different drives.

Jamin W. Collins

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael H. Warfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 11:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SOLVED?] 250 MB Zip drive reads 100MB disks but not 250MB
disks

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:16:52AM -0500, Dave Reed wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:28:21 -0500 (EST)

> > Just got a new computer for a consulting job I'm doing.  Installed
> > RedHat 6.2 and all errata and then tested the 250 MB zip drive (yes,
> > it does say 250 on the front).  It won't read 250MB zip disks, but
> > reads 100 MB zip disks.  I've got another computer with the same
> > hardware and Linux setup that reads 250 MB zip disks fine (same
> > disks).  So I'm assuing it's a hardware problem and am going to ask
> > them to swap it out for a different one.

> > Anyone else seen this before (before I look stupid when I take it back
> > and they put it in a Windows machine and tell me it works fine :-)?

> > Thanks,
> > Dave

> I didn't receive any replies, but after trying a number of things, I
> found that a 250 MB zip mounts on the new machine at:

> /dev/hdd

> but on the older machine, it mounts at:

> /dev/hdd4

> I thought all zip disks mounted on partition 4.  It appears to work
> fine.  Any ideas why?  The company claims it's the same model of zip
> drive.

        That would be your media, not the drive.  /dev/hdd4 is partition
4 on IDE drive "d" (secondary controller, slave drive).  /dev/hdd is the
entire drive.  100Meg zip drives (I don't have any 250's) come preformated
and partitioned like that.  I routinely blow away the partition table and
simply do a mke2fs on /dev/hdd and turn the whole drive into one big
file system.  Then it mounts at /dev/hdd and NOT at /dev/hdd4 as well
(and it's a few hundred K bigger).  Sounds to me like the 250 Meg drives
are coming out preformated with no partition table and you are expected
to use the entire drive like a floppy instead of like a removable hard
drive like the default formating on the 100 Meg drives.

> Thanks,
> Dave

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/