ja> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Statux wrote:
>> Not a mistype. the .taz extension is .tar and .z or .gz I believe, but in a
>> 3 character extension ala something like DOS. Perhaps during storage on an
>> 8.3 filesystem or something.

ja> Yeah.... from further reading you'll see that it doesn't appear to
ja> be a g-zipped file, but might be a "compressed" file. :-)

How about just issuing the command 'file xxx.taz to find out what it
is ?
Then if it is a tarred/gzipped file which the tag looks like, try:

tar tvzf xxx.taz -- to test and list the file.

--
Ray Curtis         Unix Programmer/Consultant   Curtis Consulting
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        http://www.clark.net/pub/ray