At 12:01 PM 11/16/2000 -0500, Timothy Reaves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Johnie Stafford wrote:
>

> >  tr> Is this your only IDE controller?
> >
> > No, I have 2 disks on ide0 and a CDRom drive on ide1 (on board ide
> > controller)
> >

>         My setup only uses the Ultra/66.  The onboard IDE's are
> disabled.  As my
>system works, I wonder if the use of both types of controllers has
>anything to do with it.
>
>         Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

I spent the past week battling the UDMA Linux demon.
And I'm comping into this discussion late, so if this
isn't what you were talking about, forgive me, but this
may help you, or anyone else trying to use UDMA under Linux.

My configuration before this started:

Generic PII motherboard with udma/33 built in,
   /dev/hda off 1st controller
SIIG Ultradma/66 PCI card, 1 udma/66 hard drive
   off each channel.
Promise Ultra100 PCI card, 1 udma/66 hard drive
   off it's first controller.

I had had redhat6.2 on it for a while. A few weeks I went to redhat7
2.2.17 with ide patches et all.

No problems, the system was stable.

I decided I need another drive, the scsi sda1 is making
noises. I picked up a Maxtor 80GB udma100, and purchased
two umda/66/100 ide cables.

The system went nuts - file system errors, complete hangs
for no apparent reason, hangs during init 1 fsck'ing drives, etc.

I finally read that udma 80wire cables have a max length
of 18". I had bought 36". So I went and got 18's from the local
computer store.

The system acted a bit better. I was able to fsck most of the
drives. But I'd still get weird hangs. No errors in /var/log/messages,
no cores, just complete hangs.

I tried a different drive. I tried swapping drives, I tried
cleaning connectors. I wanted to throw it all out the window.

What finally ended up giving me a complete, stable system was
dropping the 80conductor cables and going with normal ide
cables. (18")

Since then, I repartioned the 80GB, and have filled it/wacked it/filled
it a number of times, and have had no errors what-so-ever.

Someone in one of the linux newsgroups mentioned that the Promise100
and it's chipset is not yet supported by the ide patches and/or kernel.
That may be true, I haven't looked through the patches yet to get a final
answer.
But I do know that it works for me, as long as the cables are 18"
and they are not 80wire.

  Shane