The only commercial native Linux schematic and PCB design software that
I am aware of is Eagle from CadSoft:
http://www.cadsoft.de/

I've recently purchased the PCB portion and so far it seems to work
pretty good. A free version is available that just limits the design to
a two layer, 4x3 inch board.

Otherwise, you are probably stuck with trying a Windoze program under
Wine or Vmware or win4lin. The current freeware Linux programs are not
yet up to my needs, unfortunately. A rather large list of both free and
commercial CAE tools for Linux is at:
http://SAL.KachinaTech.COM/Z/1/index.shtml

For taking a look at the gerber files output by Eagle, I use the free
version of ViewMate running under Wine:
http://www.lavenir.com/

There are for some reason numerous commercial VHDL and Verilog
simulators and other tools for Linux, with another coming out every few
months. I own and regularly use a couple of these. And a few of us are
running the Xilinx implementation tools under Wine. A good list of these
tools are at the bottom of:
http://www.polybus.com/xilinx_on_linux.html