On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Ahbaid Gaffoor wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have replace my network card with a LinkSys 10/100 PCI Card, Model
> NC100 Version 2.1
>
> I'm running Redhat 7.0, but I cannot get the card to come up. It uses
> the tulip driver and works fine under NT and 98,
>
> Windows shows the card as using IRQ 11 and IOPort B000

[SNIP]

> here is my /etc/modules.conf file
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
> alias eth0 tulip
> options tulip options=3 debug=4 io=bx000 irq=11
> alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
> options sound dmabuf=1
> alias midi opl3
> options opl3 io=0x388
> options cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

> here is the output when I try to do an "insmod tulip"
> Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/tulip.o
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

> How do I get the card to come up?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ahbaid.

The first thing I would do is try commenting out the options line for the
tulip driver.  You almost never need to give the IRQ and I/O port for a
PCI card.  The card may or may not use the same I/O and IRQ as it does in
Windows.  Letting the driver find the I/O and IRQ works fine in almost all
cases.

If this fails, try using the old_tulip driver instead of the tulip
driver.  But I think the tulip driver is probably the correct one for this
card.  I an not up to date on what chip Linksys is using on what card, so
it is possible that you will need an updated driver if they have changed
things again.

Mikkel