I also use RH6.2........   /var/spool/mail/$user is the spool,
their actual mail is kept wherever they get it.... If they are using a pop
client, then they are downloaded when they check their mail.  If they use
Pine to get their mail, then when they check mail, they are moved to
/home/$user/mail/

         In my opinion, it's better to leave it in /var/spool/mail/$user
because I would think you'd run into problems with the mail program itself
having access to the users local areas without opening them up for public
access.... (but as I've said before, I could very well be wrong...
)    Best of luck!

         Fred