Except in order to run a DLL as a DLL, you have to include INT 21h into
the mix and emulation sucks... it's slow.. ever wonder why MS windows
sucks so bad? because 1) it actually runs under DOS which is only 16bit,
and 2) everything is emulated. networking, much of the audio support
depending on the board, etc.. the lack of a kernel in the host OS (DOS)
forces emulation to be the only hope of anything working.. and in MS
Windows' case.. not working at all most of the time. A system with no
native networking layer.. yuck :) Sorry bout the tangent. I'm just trying
to find room for my new speakers ;)

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Thornton Prime wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Statux wrote:
>
> > > It uses a Win32 plug in framework and uses the win32 dll for DivX support.
> > > I used it sucessfully a few months back. 'm sure it has gotten better
> > > since.
> >
> > Win32? DLL? but this isn't MS anything... It's Linux. The code's all
> > different and stuff.
>
> I believe he borrows from Wine. x86 is x86. There are differences between
> ELF and Win32 binary formats, of  course, but once you fix that the
> instructions themselves run at native  speed.
>
> Read his web pages to read more information. Check out the source code if
> you want to see how it works.
>
> >From http://xmps.sourceforge.net/features.php3
>
>   win32 codec:
>      Wrapper to WIN32 codecs.
>      Can handle DivX ;-), Intel Indeo 5.0, etc...
>
> Please note also that "DivX ;-)" and DivX are not the same thing. DivX was
> Circut City's pay-per-view alternative to DVD. "DivX ;-)" is a codec. See
> http://divx.ctw.cc/index_main.html for more info.
>

> thornton.

-Statux