I've been noticing an odd behavior on both my 6.1 (Cartman) and 7.0
(Guinness) boxes.

When I leave a telnet or ssh session open, and it is automatically
closed on time-out, the "pts' that was assigned to that session is
lost.

For example...I have a user on pts/0, right now, and I was logged in
on pts/1.  At some point, I got timed out, logged back in and wound
up on pts/2...other user still on pts/0, no pts/1 in sight.
Eventually, I was timed out again, and logged back in.  Needless to
say, now I'm logged in on pts/3.  So, what happened to pts/1 and
pts/2?  How can I recover them without having to restart my system?

Inquiring minds want to know.