On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> We're in the process of setting up a basic POP3 email system for around
> 20,000 users.  This is going to be on a fairly large RedHat Linux 6.2
> system.  I can setup the POP3/MTA servers myself, but I'm running into
> trouble deciding on administration tools.
>
> We're going to have some fairly inexperienced people doing basic user
> account stuff (password resets and name changes, etc.)  This means
> teaching them about "usermod" and other things using sudo might be tough.
> Are there any web based admin tools that let you admin just users info
> like passwords, name, etc (or can be RESTRICTED to assign a user to just
> manage that) I looked at webmin, but it seems to offer too much in this
> case, and doesn't let you change users passwords from its web interface.

Webmin can be restricted to certain functions, though I'm not clear on how
fine grained it is. Might be worth a closer look, remember that you'll get
the benefit of remote administration as well.

> Email forwarding will be a big issue also, since many people will simply
> want to forward their email to another address.  Are there any web
> interfaces that let the user login with their ID and password and type in
> a new email address that'll create the .forward file in their home dir?

If you haven't already setup the POP3/MTA, a good combination I've found:

qmail + vmailmgr + Courier IMAP + omail-admin + TWIG

This combo gives you mailboxes that don't need a system account, web based
management for both the individual users as well as an admin. I threw in
IMAP and TWIG as usually the next thing needed is web-based email.

You'll find all the related sites via freshmeat.net.

Good Luck,

Bill Carlson
--
Systems Programmer    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |  Opinions are mine,
Virtual Hospital      http://www.vh.org/        |  not my employer's.