I'm relatively sure that it's not a variable set in a shell config
file...I have the same thing happen on both my 6.1 (Cartman) and 7.0
(Guinness) boxes.

I will echo your sentiments about A) timeouts not necessarily being a bad
thing and B) using SSH.

To Gary, I would submit that having a timeout is actually a good
thing...should you leave work or whatever, and forget to log out of your
telnet (or even ssh) session, but left it at a command prompt, then the
timeout will help you avoid the unpleasant possibility of someone coming
along and doing damage to your system while logged in as you.

Next, I would submit that if you wish to keep those sessions alive, you
should run some sort of continual process.

Personally, I like to keep tabs on my system, so I'll usually run either
"top" or "tail -f /var/log/<some log file>".  Having a continuously
running process effectively kills the idle timer.