I didn't know about those scripts when I went with the virtualhosts.

However, I'll note for you that your suggestion may only work as long
as you have consecutive IP addresses to use.  In my case, the IP
allocation has breaks in it, as some IPs have been assigned to
actual, physical machines, some IPs have been taken out of service
from the box in question, etc.  Reading the ifup-aliases file, it
notes that you can do this using multiple ifcfg-$DEV-rangeX
files...but that's still more housekeeping than I'd like, given the
number of breaks in my current aliasing scheme.

However, if better planning can be done for allocation of IPs for the
virtual hosts, your suggestion is a very good one, indeed.