On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Tundra wrote:

> I am looking for a mid to upper level range notebook that satisfactorily runs RH. My
>preference, although not a necessity, would be to purchase a notebook preloaded with
>RH which is appropriately configured (including modem). Alternatively, a purchase of
>a fully hardware compatible notebook which I can then load RH would also be
>acceptable.
>
> Any and all  suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, after looking at the postings for IBM ThinkPads, Dells, and
Compaqs, all I can say is that I went with a ProStar, which is actually
a relabeled Kapok, from Taiwan.  Good solid features, good performance,
good screen (14.1 TFT) etc.  One of the things I've liked is that it
came with cdrom, hard drive, floppy drive, and battery all in latched
removable trays.  Picked up a second drive and tray on eBay, so when my
wife wants to dial up her office, or my daughter wants to play with
"Jumpstart 2nd Grade", I just swap drives.  You can replace the floppy
drive with a second hard drive, a zip drive, an ls-120 drive, or an
additional battery.

Only problem I've had with linux on these systems has been that an early
release of the BIOs wouldn't boot unless you had an MS partition on the
drive.  Had to put a single block, DOS partition on the linux
drive.  Then got a BIOS upgrade, which fixed that.  They don't come with
linux pre-installed, but it was as simple as "insert cd, click mouse a
bit, take a nap."

Rick Forrister                 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Definition:  Honest Politician:  Once bought, stays bought."
                                --Robert Heinlein