mkbootdisk and the dd method aren't the same thing. Using dd will write
the image to disk. The image is actually bootable (hence the reason this
method works). It's also the option to use if you want to bypass the
bootloader and start things up quickly from disk. mkbootdisk will give you
lilo and will boot very slowly. So, there is a major difference. It all
depends on what you need. I prefer to use the dd method, but that's just
because I know what I'm doing.

-Statux

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Michael Butler/CanEast/IBM wrote:

> dd if=vmlinuz of=dev/fd0  is the hard way?????
> Linux is like perl, there's more than one way to do almost anything but the
> command above is pretty simple. What's the easier command that you use?
>
> Mike
>
> John Aldrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@redhat.com on 11/30/2000 04:22:45 PM
>
> Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> cc:
> Subject:  Re: boot floppy question
>

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Michael Butler/CanEast/IBM wrote:
> > Try this:
> > Login as root.
> > cd /boot
> > dd if=vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0
> >
> > Then reboot with the floppy in the drive. You should boot off the disk.
> >
> Why do things the hard way? Man mkbootdisk will tell you all you need
> to know about making a boot floppy for your machine. :-)
>            John

-Statux