Attempted clarification:
  Diald controls the ppp0 connection.  My ISP assigns an IP
address to ppp0 (the interface to the outside world) that
changes with each login.  I need to pass the address to my
rc.firewall file so that it knows the value of IPADDR to use
in the ipchains scripts that I have put together from
Ziegler's book.

  So the problem is the value of $IPADDR and there are
reference in the scant pump docs that I have seen that it
does this, although the documentation is shallow enough that
I don't have the foggiest notion how!

TIA

Bob
"Michael R. Jinks" wrote:

> I'm confused.  Tell me if I have this right.
>
> The firewall is going to be doing the dialing?  And the dynamic IP address will
> be the one that gets assigned to the firewall's outside interface (the one
> attached to the modem)?
>
> If that's the case, then you might not need either one; your ISP should assign
> you an IP address automatically, which should be handled by pppd.
>
> Or have I misunderstood something?
>
> -m
>
> Bob Hartung wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >  Setting up a new dial-up ISP connection at my office and
> > will need to grap dynamically assigned IP address for
> > firewall.  I've looked at Robert Ziegler's stuff but he
> > doesn't answer the main question:  which is better to use:
> > dhcpd or pump and if the latter then where is the
> > documentation so I can get a grip on it before deploying it.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Bob Hartung
> > --
> > Bob Hartung
> > www.radiologygrouppc.com
> > www.qchealthwatch.com

> --
> Michael Jinks, IB // Technical Entity // Saecos Corporation
> "No one speaks English and everything's broken."  -- T. Waits
> "Tom Waits would have made a decent sysadmin."  -- M. Jinks

Bob Hartung
www.radiologygrouppc.com
www.qchealthwatch.com