At 05:47 PM 12/5/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Good ideas, but remember that files on a hacked system are always suspect; for
>example, several exploits will run extra copies of inetd, with their own copy of
>inetd.conf stashed someplace strange like under /tmp, /var, or /dev.
>
>/etc/passwd is _DEFINITELY_ a good call.
>
>netstat is a likely target for rewriting with a root kit.  Be wary of the output
>from any binary on a compromised machine.
>
>And in any case, I'd want to be sure that I've been hacked before panicking;
>there are lots of reasons why network services stop working.  Log files are your
>friends.  ;)

Log files are also the first thing crackers clean up when they break in. Especially if
they're interested in staying around a while - they make sure they leave no trace of
themselves in the log files.

Go ahead and look at the log files, but if your logfiles are "ok", that really doesn't
mean that your system is.

        JW