At 04:25 PM 06/12/2000 -0600, you wrote:
> >> I think there is an underlying question that needs to be asked...
> >>
> >> Why do you want to change BOOT_IMAGE?  If you think that is going to
> affect
> >> how your computer boots, you are mistaken.
> >
> >You are correct. /etc/lilo.conf seems to be the governing file here, but
> I have a number of statements
> >in my lilo.conf file and even though the Boot_Image statement points to
> an image that is no longer first
> >in the list, it still is the default boot image that is used if the
> computer reboots and I am not around.
> >
> >So, I figured I had to change something 'else' other than just the
> lilo.conf file and noticed my environment statements when I ran ENV.
>
>If you've rearranged the order of the lines in the file, the default image
>(the first one) will be loaded, IFF you run /sbin/lilo to rebuild the
>boot block.

Thank you very much for your extremely informative response. As well I want
to thank all the others who responded to my question.
I checked my /etc/lilo.conf file and sure enough, just as is indicated
below - I had ' default=liinux' in my /etc/lilo.conf file. I now have it
removed (commented out)... and I reran /sbin/lilo and the first entry in my
lilo.conf file is now seen as the one that will boot. That is
what I wanted and so now all things are well. At least I hope so. Any
additional comments (if any) are invited..

And once again thank you MB and all the others who helped..

>Here is my lilo.conf:
>
>boot=/dev/hda
>map=/boot/map
>install=/boot/boot.b
>prompt
>timeout=50
>linear
>default=linux
>
>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-3
>         label=linux
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16-3.img
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/hda1
>         append="mem=256M"
>
>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
>         label=linux-old
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.14-5.0.img
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/hda1
>         append="mem=256M"
>

>MB
>--
>e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     Bart: Hey, why is it destroying other toys?  Lisa: They must have
>     programmed it to eliminate the competition.  Bart: You mean like
>     Microsoft?  Lisa: Exactly.  [The Simpsons - 12/18/99]
>Visit - URL:http://www.vidiot.com/  (Your link to Star Trek and UPN)

---
Ted Gervais
1-902-679-2253