vav,
  linux is typically aggressive when it comes to memory use.  which means it
will use MORE than it needs.  you mentioned your system has not begun to
swap,  are applications crashing??  is there any one application suffering
performance wise??  it doesn't sound like a memory leak, just linux being a
little over aggressive in memory use.

Jason

>Hi,
>    Could someone help me diagnose my system.  I use 'top' to monitor the
system >activities.  As I watch, the memory used increases.  I don't know
what is causing> it.  Earlier this week it was at 130MB free, now it's at
62MB free.  I used 'vmstat >1' to see if there were any large file swapping
involve, but could not see it.  >Any help would be most appreciated.  Thank
you.