Hi Nitebirdz,

>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       16
>         Modes       "1024x768" "640x480" "800x600" "1280x1024"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection
>
> Only problem is I never saw it work right in Red Hat Linux 6.x, for
> instance.  As far as I can remember, Debian does this in a much better
> way since there is a "default" line in the same XF86Config file where
> you can specify your preferred default resolution.

 How come this doesn't work for you? This works fine for me. The only thing is
that if X can't find an appropriate modeline (fe your videocard/monitor can't
handle 1280x1024) the matching mode gets dropped. But this is not a RedHat
issue.
 Did you ever try using this "default" line in a XF86Config file for RedHat?
Or is this a Debian hack? Could you supply us with an example? Where do we put
this "default" option? In the display section?

                                        Bye,

                                        Leonard.