-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Harry Putnam
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2000 2:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Export variables available to Cron Daemon(no subject)

[Note: Getting this thread back on track.  It was derailed by my
subjectless post.... sorry ... having some email troubles here]

"Brad Doster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thanks, Harry.  For the time being, I've incorporated the pieces that
define
> the variables in the scripts run by cron.  It seems there ought to be a
way
> to make defined variables globally available though, and I haven't been
able
> to find out how -- I suppose the 'global availability' is really the crux
of
> my question -- is it possible, and if so, can anyone help me get it to
work?

I couldn't find a refernce in the three related man pages, crond,
crontab(1) and crontab(2).  But I seem to recall someone telling me
once that cron starts with a limited  shell, some of the limitations
being $PATH and $ENV

I'm definitely not an authority on this, so some of the sharp shooter
here will probably know.  Making crontab extact whatever VARS you want
from the global environment can be done in the way I described.

> As for your script enhancements, I'll have to look at the man pages to see
> what you've done <g>.

Its no great improvement, just makes fewer system calls.