Bob,

When your ppp connection is established, the /etc/ppp/ip-up.local script
will be executed. (That is, if it exists. :-) This is indicated in the
/etc/ppp/ip-up script.

When your ip-up.local is called, it will have some handy parameters
populated for your convenience:
$1 = INTERFACE
$2 = DEVICE
$3 = SPEED
$4 = LOCAL_IP (As given by ISP)
$5 = REMOTE_IP (of ISP)
$6 = LOGDEVICE

You may want to create a test version of your ip-up.local first, to only
echo out the contents of these parameters into a log file so that you
can study the values given.

>From there, you may do different things depending on interface
(ppp0/ppp1/etc) and eventually do something special with the LOCAL_IP in
$4. Up to your imagination. ;-)

Warning:
Beware, that RH6.2 has a bug in the installation that will write a lot
of isdn related stuff into your ip-up.local (the ip-up.local is *your*
local script, RH is *never* supposed to clutter in it.) I have reported
this to bugzilla and got an acknowledgment of this bug. I hope it's
corrected in RH7 (?).

Anyway, it may be handy to always keep a backup copy of your ip-up.local
somewhere, in case you should re-install the ppp support.

If you don't have any ip-up.local, then create it. Put whatever you
want/need in it.

Regards
Gustav

Bob Hartung wrote:

> Hi again,
<snip>

--
pgp = Pretty Good Privacy.

To get my public pgp key, send an e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit my web site at http://www.schaffter.com