I think that you have to turn on authoring.  here is an example .htaccess
file:
-----------------------
# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
AuthName your.com
AuthUserFile /home/your/your-www/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
AuthGroupFile /home/your/your-www/_vti_pvt/service.grp
------------------------

This is usually accomplished by running the fpsrvadm.exe program ( no,
that's not a windows exe ).  That program with no options outputs the
following:
Please enter command:
0) quit
1) install
2) upgrade
3) uninstall
4) check and fix
5) enable authoring
6) disable authoring
7) change security settings
8) recalculate links
9) delete
10) rename
11) set directory executable
12) set directory no executable
13) putfile
14) recalcfile
15) create a subweb
16) merge a subweb into its parent web
17) full uninstall of all FrontPage information
18) chown
Your choice [1]: 5
Enter port [80]: your.com:80

Starting enable, port: marnalea.com:80, web: "root web"

Created: 12 Jul 2000 18:42:05 -0000
Version: 4.0.2.2717
Port your.com:80: Authoring enabled.

HTH